Rheeya's Blog

Just another Edublogs site

All about Diwali

| 4 Comments

Diwali is the amazing and colorful festival full of lights. I celebrate the Indian holiday called Diwali. During Diwali you put out special lights called diyas, the diyas light up a path so the Hindu god Saraswati can see your house. Something you do during Diwali is Rangoli which is art with colored powder. A lot of people dance and sing to celebrate Diwali, and they have lots of sweets to give to god. Diwali is a fun and enjoyable holiday and I am always looking forward to it.

rangoli by Dinesh Korgaokar via wikimedia

4 Comments

1. I also put out lights on my house for Christmas. When my family celebrates a holiday we also sing and dance to celebrate for the holiday and God, like you do for Diwali. When do you celebrate Diwali? Please check my blogging channel too, afascinatingblogbykimberly20.edublogs.org

2. Diwali sounds wonderful! I have seen Diwali celebrations on TV and in pictures, but I didn’t know much about it. Is Diwali celebrated on just one day or over many days? Do you have a favorite food to make or eat during Diwali?

Hailey (a commenter for the Student Blogging Challenge)

• Hello Hailey,

I love to eat Ladoos which is an Indian sweet. Diwali is actually celebrated for five days. All of the days are important but the most important one is the third day. On the third day you can do fireworks and other fun things like that.

3. Hello there. I love Divali! All those little candles and the sweets. My favorite might be ladoo. I say might be because every time I try a new kind of Indian sweet I change my mind!

I am from Venezuela. My favorite holiday growing up was Carnavales, or Carnival in English. You might know it as Mardi Gras. It was a chance to wear costumes and have water balloon fights with all the kids on the street. I remember dressing up as a baby chick, a cow girl and a medieval princess, but we took off the costumes before the water balloons came out!

I am now living in Egypt. We have a long weekend this week because on Sunday, the Egyptians celebrate Orthodox Easter and on Monday, the whole country celebrates Sham el Nessim, a spring festival from the time of the pharaohs. People go on picnics to eat spring onions and a smelly pickled fish. There are murals on ancient temples showing the pharaohs celebrating spring with that same food. That means it was a festival celebrated 5000 years ago!

Hope all of your celebrations are fun and full of joy.

Mrs. Fitzgerald
    Librarian
    Cairo American College, Egypt